Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Making the switch

At a shower recently, I was talking to my girlfriend Kim about potty training; her son is 3 months older than Pierce. Honestly the thought hadn't crossed my mind, but her optimism got me thinking.... when are we going to start working on those big "toddler milestones"?
After discussing it with Ryan, we decided to tackle the toddler bed conversion first, then go for potty training. What do we have to lose, right? Besides, "They say" if you can knock these things out before they are two (aka- defiant) then it's easier on everybody. On Sunday we made the switcharoo on his bed, and felt encouraged by the smile on his face. New parents are suckers. Come nightfall, it was like episode from Super Nanny. In hindsight, I think his passionate opposition was really to the new baby gate, not the bed, but does it really matter?!? The word "meltdown" really doesn't do it justice. Ryan eventually ended up rocking P to sleep, and fortunately he slept peacefully through the night. Nap time yesterday was a little better, but he still required me sitting beside him until he fell asleep. At that point I resolved to give it 4 more days...
Here's the good part- I went to put him down last night, and no surprise, he immediately started his panic attack, racing out of bed to follow me. I had just gotten outside the gate, and I told him, "Pierce, It's time to go night-night. You need to lay down and go to sleep". With that, he turned around and got back in bed, not crying or lifting his head once. Eureka! Now I won't lie, he did have the heartbreaking pouty face... but was a big boy about it as he self-soothed with his GloWorm, while drifting off for another good night of sleep. So while this part is heartbreaking as a parent, it is an encouraging start, I'll give it that...

2 comments:

kim said...

I'm not worthy,I'm not worthy. You are my HERO!!!! I can't believe that you did the crib to bed switch. WOW...I am speechless!!

Kecia said...

First of all, I am sooo excited that you posted!! Secondly, you go...who needs the Super Nanny? You are the Super Mommy!! I am very proud of you and your big boy Pierce! Yeah!!!